Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hubble Bubble toil and trouble....




Not one of my better pictures thats for sure but what a great night we had last year for Halloween! I hadn't dressed up in years  before this but I would highly recommend it. I couldn't get the green face paint off for days!!! But its that time again when the little ones are all excited and half terrified but love it at the same time and some of us grown ups are just as bad. So why am I writing about it here in this blog? Well we can do this with the environment in mind too and so I thought I would put a few pointers out for those of you who might be interested.




  • If you have little ones make sure you give them a bag that can be recycled. There are lots of plastic tubs that can be bought for Halloween trick or treating but its just another piece of plastic and be honest, are you really going to keep it safe for next year? You might find that sitting down with the kids for half an hour could do the trick. You might be able to decorate a cloth bag with some bits of fabric to personalise it and make it as scary or pretty as you like. Great for creativity and family time.
  • Kids do love the trick or treating and I am delighted to see the parents out with them keeping an eye on them. Its fairly straight forward in the town but if you live in the country and have to drive to complete the trick or treating process then maybe try car pooling. Less cars on the road and maybe the family whose kids you take out this year will do the driving next year.
  • Treats. If you are waiting for the kids to come to the door like me you will have a plethora of sweets and goodies mounting up by the door ready and waiting to fill their little bags. Half the time I buy too much in the hope that there is plenty left over for me. Still, all those sweets? Maybe we could throw in a small pack of crayons or pencils or something. If you are giving sweets try not to give too much wrapping so that there will be little rubbish and a little fruit is always appreciated, even if it is only by the parents who pay the dentist bills! Don't forget that kids may be allergic to some things that we wouldn't know about.
  • Decorating the house. This can easily be a fun family time and why not save a few bob and see if the kids can do a few scary drawings to hang up or make black and orange paper chains to hang up. Go the whole hog with a pumpkin lantern. You can make a pumpkin soup and even throw the waste and the lantern when its used into the compost.                    
  • The OUTFIT! Good lord the outfit. Sometimes it feels as though every celebration requires us to dress up to the nines and spend a pretty penny on it too. Well if you can and would like to then go for it but as you can see, my "get up" last year was pretty straight forward and I only bought face paints, a hat and a wig. Everything else was borrowed or saved from the back of my wardrobe. It was much more fun having to work out what I was going to put together rather than just buying it and I kept everything for this year so I only need to adjust it a little. Dont forget the bed sheet can be a ghost or toga or Lord knows what else. Well it only comes out once a year so I hardly need something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment