Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Its a kind of magic


We have been hard at work yesterday and today getting back into the garden and veggie growing. Exams and Uni have taken over my life this year and now I can concentrate on what I want to do and when I want to do it. Getting all the news that England are well under way with their growing season we are usually a little behind with ours here in Ireland and the same is true this year. However things are looking good and its very exciting. The peas we set haven't worked and I think we will try again over the next couple of days but overall I am delighted and look forward to some scrummy food in the near future.



Some of our last lettuce didnt look so healthy so I sowed more seeds. These strawberry containers were ideal and so good to find a second use for them. I saves another from the recycling bin again today. They really need transplanting into larger pots now as they are fighting for space but they so so much healthier so far. Live and learn

These are broccoli and have sprouted nicely. Not everyone's favorite but I love them and hope they do well. The plants in the photo below are a mixture of carrots and marigolds, cauliflower and more. Dont know where I'll put them but I'll work something out. This was my second attempt too as the other batch just wouldn't sprout. I think the temperature here has a lot to answer for!





Not sure if these are Courgettes or some of the squash I put down. They all look similar so far. Looking really strong. Can you see the 4th one coming through?



An uninvited guest arrived late last night and he was a whopper. I think this snail thinks he can reach my Spider plant on the inside. I am glad he was on the outside. Had to lean out of the window for this shot!


Elsie-Kate (our apple tree) is doing well so far and seems happy enough. The blossoms smell divine and the last the flowers are on our blueberries so they will need netting soon or else the race will be on for getting the fruit. Me or the birds? All of this growth and success (so far anyway) really gives me great satisfaction. The beds at my parents house are doing well and I hope to get some of the squash in soon. I just hope it warms up asap.


To grow all of this really is a kinda magic :)

Are you growing your own and how is it going for you?


3 comments:

  1. Growing your own veg is addictive. I forgot to mention my carrots in my list of current projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must post some piccies on my blog but you'll need to tell me how. I can then show off my carrot tops :-)

    ReplyDelete