Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Mistakes? I've made a few, but then again..."

....well perhaps not too few to mention but this is something that is going to happen along the way. You know, like when you go into a shop and see something that you really love, and without a thought, little old you goes and makes the purchase and leaves with a big satisfied grin on your face. Once your home and it's time to think about being the environments Green Friendly Giant, it dawns on you that you have made a big mistake and bought something like PVC leggings that cant be recycled or wont break down or whatever. Your heart drops and you wonder if you should give it or up and throw in the towel. Don't do it. I have made this mistake too and so have several others. The retail world does not always cater to our Eco friendly efforts and it can be tough to get it right sometimes. Here is my confession.


 Do you remember those straps of plastic from the 80's that you would "braid" into a cool thing that merely attached to your key ring? Scoobies they're called now anyway. I went into a store the other day and saw them, and I remember a fondness I had for them when I was young (and couldn't braid the damn things to save my life) and in the name of childhood memories went and made the purchase. Even got as far as making the first braid before it dawned on me what I had done. 
What in heavens name was I doing purchasing more plastic, and not only that, plastic that I blatantly don't need. Here I am writing a blog about being Eco friendly and now I'm doing the very opposite. I was more than disappointed with myself but, I can honestly say it wasn't meant and I didn't think "Nobody will know so it doesn't matter." It does matter but I'm not going to kick myself constantly everyday. I'm going to pick myself up and start again and hopefully having done this once I will be more aware next time.
So whats my message? Mistakes happen, we're human and when mistakes happen just try again. Isn't that what we were brought up with in school? If at first you dont succeed try, try and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment