Monday, September 27, 2010

Winter Warmer Mmm..

I have just made my favorite soup which really is a meal in itself. I love making this as it really is wholesome and good but what I also love about it is that there is no real waste. Because its all vegetables the only things that gets thrown away are the peelings an the other reason it's a winner is that it easy to make and I get 2 nights out of it (or one night if feeding four people). You need a blender though. So, although this is not a recipe blog, I thought I'd share this with you as not only will it make you feel good inside, it will make your Eco conscience feel warm and cosy too.
Get stuck into this winter warmer...

All you need is:
Blender
1 Butternut squash (believe me its divine)
Knob of butter
1 onion (I use red but it doesn't matter)
2 potatoes
1 big teaspoon of paprika (powder, probably near the herbs and spices in supermarket)
Vegetable stock ( I use 2 for extra flavor)
Teaspoon of chopped chives
Few tablespoons of cream (Optional)

  • The hardest thing to do here is peel the butternut squash as it's a toughy so carefully do this will a strong and sharp knife and then take out the centre with all the pips and pop into the compost bin. Dice up the squash & peel and dice the potatoes. Do all of the above first.



  • Chop the onion and heat in a large saucepan with the knob of butter until onions are soft.
  • Throw in the butternut squash and potato and cover with 2 pints (or just under) of boiling stock. Veg should be just about covered.
  • Pop the teaspoon of paprika and allow to boil over the heat/hob.  
  • Once it is boiling turn down the heat and simmer for 35 mins. When it has cooled slightly, whiz it in the blender and reheat. Add some chopped chives (and cream if you want to be bold although it's not necessary) and serve. 
Last but not least Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment