Thursday, February 10, 2011

The best things in life are free.

The Glucksman Gallery
Its a great time of the year when the spring is springing and the evenings are definitely getting longer. It is also a  time for us students to get swatting for upcoming exams hence I havent been on here for a bit but I was out and about yesterday on a field trip in Cork City when we visited University College Cork (UCC) and learned a little about a wonderful building on site that anyone can visit......


Beautiful view of Cork City
 Its the Glucksman Gallery, an art gallery. Normally I am not a gallery sort of    person but this building gave me more than art. One of the things I liked about it is that it is as Eco friendly as possible as it clad in redwood and tries to keep in with its natural surroundings of tall redwood trees and if you look carefully, as we did yesterday, it actually resembles a tree house. 
The beauty and calm within.
The interior is spacious and clean with beautiful windows that allow for a wonderful view of the college grounds and the city around. This cost a bomb to build I'm sure but its been so well thought out that its worth it. I can think of several buildings with a hefty price tag that dont do what it says on the tin! It's even got me thinking about making a tab on here of Eco friendly places to visit. This gallery is free to visit and open to all and indeed from here visitors are able to visit the Honen Chapel and call into the Áras na Mac Léinn for a coffee or tea. The Glucksman cafe is closed at the  moment due to the terrible floods last year but keep an eye open as I'm sure it will re-open asap. So if your coming over here on holiday and are looking for 
something to do keep UCC in mind. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.


Although the pictures here are a little dull it due to the weather, imagine what it would be like in summer. I haven't put in too many pictures as I think you should view it for yourself



For further information on UCC please click here,

to find out what's happening in the Glucksman Gallery click here


Let me know what  you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment