Thursday, April 28, 2011

one two TREE!

Click to hear Natural Instinct Show and Agenda 21, Tree planting.
I often say "I'll let you know how it goes" so I thought I had better do just that. I'd like to cast your mind back to a previous blog called "wonderful result" here on Greenwatch (http://greenwatch-lesley.blogspot.com/2011/01/wonderful-result.html#more) when I spoke about a project for Charleville and a lovely green space with new trees and bird and bat boxes. Well it is almost completed with the help of Agenda 21 and wonderful community of people. They applied for funding under Agenda 21 and were successful and have been as busy as Easter Bunnies planting new trees and putting up bird boxes in the park in Charleville. It's also nice to know that in these hard times too, groups such as Agenda 21 realise the importance of helping communities and their environment. I went up there last week to do an interview with Ted Bradley and Tommy Kavanagh for my radio programme, "Natural Instinct", and it was glorious. So nice to see that people are interested in the Environment still and it wasn't just the 2 of them but several groups from the community such as St. Anne's Primary School, the Christian Brothers School secondary school and St. Josephs foundation with the Green Committee group there.
Ted Bradley & Tommy Kavanagh at the park in Charleville




A Walk in the park!
I'd love to put up pictures of all of the contributors but as many of them are under 18 I'm afraid I cant. For those at St Josephs foundation I do have permission to up load some photos from their magazine and so I've decided to dedicate a whole blog to them. Just wait till you see the work they have been doing. Still I can tell you that some of the younger kids were only in 4th class and knew so much about the environment; how to plant trees, mulching and wildlife in general. It would do your heart good. It's great to know that our schools are teaching Maths, English, Irish and the other school subjects that are important but I can tell you that they are learning about nature and science outside the class room and environmental issues and boy can they fill you in with the details. They aren't just spouting out learnt lines, but really know what they are on about. The CBS also came on the radio and with people often giving teenagers a rough ride I am proud to say that the boys from 1st year, 2nd year and higher were really cool to work with. With kids of all ages like this in the education system right know and teachers clued in to what is important, I can tell you they really deserve a thumbs up.
 Well done guys!
To listen to the interview on Ballyhoura Community Radio click the link under the picture of the tree at the top of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment