Sunday, May 1, 2011

Would you care to take a turn with me?....

Doneraile Park, Co. Cork
With the summer on its way and school holidays on the horizon we will all be wondering what to do with ourselves. I want to be out and about as much as possible especially when the weather is good and dry. We are in often enough in the winter sitting next to the fire. I want to take in the fresh air, enjoy the wildlife and not have it cost a fortune if I can help it. So if you are in the same frame of mind and are in County Cork this summer why not take a glimpse at Doneraile Park.
I went this morning and after being glued to the computer and the kitchen table for the last 2-3 months revising for exams I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I forgot how nice it was to be out on my own time with no watch calling me and being with my husband on the medium walk as we call it I was able to spend valuable time chatting with him and Lord knows with the recent college madness I really haven't been able to give him the time he deserves. It's a miracle really that he remembers who I am.
There are several lengths of walks that you can take and the long one of about 4 miles (just under) takes around an hour if you are walking at a good pace. The park now belongs to the OPW who look after it very well and considering the present economy too and there is a bit of history behind it if you want to look it up. At present it is free to go in although during the summer months they used to charge about €2.50 but that hasn't been the case for a while although I wouldn't begrudge them a few euro for the upkeep as there is a lot of land with it.
Here you can bring a picnic and sit on the lovely grass facing the river which flows through the park and the parking facilities have been improved recently so there is plenty of space. The wildlife is a joy with deer dotted around and if you are there at the right time of the day and year you can see the rabbits running about like wildfire all over the fields. One of the highlights for the children is visiting the swans at the small lake/large pond, whatever you decide, and there are plenty of conquers around September. The trees are shady to walk among and the paths are clear and if all of that isn't enough to tire out the younger visitors then there is the newly built playground for under twelves as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Unfortunately the magnificent house is not open for visitors but being in these surroundings you could nearly expect Mr Darcy to turn up!

Open til 5pm in the winter months and until 8pm in the summer. For further details please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment