Tuesday, August 31, 2010

On yer bike!





Cycling has to be one of my most enjoyable past times and, it seems, very trendy right now. I took it up again about 17 months ago having not cycled since I was a young teenager. I joined a local club too in order to meet a few more people and this way it is a social leisure cycle and I'm keeping fit without it feeling like a workout. I was in Berlin this summer and the amount of cyclists in that city was a real eye opener and I don't just mean during the day, there are as many cyclists biking their way through the city at 1am, 2am and so on!  How wonderful to apply that lifestyle here in Ireland or any other country for that matter. I continued to ponder on that thought and realised that we have a lot to do to catch up with certain European towns and cities. Kids love their shiny new bikes from Santa or for their birthdays and wouldn't it be great to be able to go cycling safely as a family rather than having to drive to the nearest park so kids can cycle (as a single cyclist) in safety?




Get the essentials
It could be that you simply want to get back on the bike again and once again the question of "What kind of bike do I need" or "Where do I go to get started", crops up. You might have a bike hidden away in the garage that is still good enough to cycle but if not it is worth investing in one and although you can spend as much as you like on your new hobby, it doesn't have to cost the earth. The bike to work scheme is for anyone who wants to cycle to work (and a great money saver) and if its a long journey then you can drive some of the way and cycle the rest. I've just created the "Park and Cycle." Take your time and go to a recommended cycling shop. I believe in word of mouth. All you need is a bike and a helmet (don't scrimp on the helmet, trust me you need one) and that's it! Off you go!

The country side is a gorgeous place to enjoy the freedom and buzz of cycling. You can join a club but find out if they are a leisure or racing club. You don't want to pick the wrong one but simply going out with a few friends is the absolute tops. However in this country we need a little more support. We need safety and we need it in the form of cycling lanes.



 Dublin has started the rent a bike scheme and I am determined to give that a try to see how effective and safe it is. The government totally applaud and promote this and then.....well,.. not a a lot for the rest of the country as yet. Do we have to wait several years before our towns and cities are included? It's time we took a stand. The government want less pollution in the air and they are looking toward Eco friendly cars which is great but HOW EXPENSIVE? The recession isn't quite over yet and cycling will take some cars off the road. I know it will happen eventually but patience is a virtue I don't really have and I would  like to see it happen before I retire please (quite a long way to go there I assure you). So what am I going to do to improve things? I'm going to get involved with a group of people in a town near me and we will put our heads together and push for a change, not just sit around and moan about what we don't have but really try to make a change. Get cycle lanes so that people can cycle to work everyday if they want. Get enough bike parking racks so that people are easily encouraged to cycle. Ooh, look at all the money we'll save on fuel and as for the nation turning obese....Ha ha we'll laugh at the idea! Still, first things first, get yourself a bike and get going or even try borrowing a friends and see how you get on. This hobby is definitely a keeper. 
Post a comment if you have improved your area with cycle paths and let me know what your thoughts are on the subject.
Kids training in Charleville, Co.Cork 2010

For information on the Bike to Work Scheme in Ireland click here
For a recommended cycle shop in South Limerick and near Cork border click here

No comments:

Post a Comment