Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where you do you start when you decide to go "Eco Friendly"?  Difficult I know. You can start to think that there is so much to be done that, little old (or young) you couldn't possibly change the world and therefore give up before you start. Well I started when I found a book written by Feilim Harty called "Get rid of your Bin" and I was so inspired that that is exactly what I did. I took a long hard look at recycling and gave myself 6 months to try to recycle most of my rubbish (this was also when the next "Bin man" bill was due) and went for it. (As it happened I lost my job at the same time the bin man bill was due so that helped with the decision! ) I'm delighted. Now I recycle approximately 85-90% of my rubbish by taking it to the recycling bank myself.  For €5 every 8-10 weeks I trek off to the recycling centre. Here is how to start:


  • Don't make an immediate changeover as it will seem too daunting and you will give up straight away.
  • Become aware of what you throw away.
  • Separate as you go. Have a different bin for paper, plastic, cardboard etc.
  •  When your bins are full, empty them into bin bags and put them in the shed and start again. You want to fill your car full to the brim to get the best value for your money.
  • If you have a lot of waste that can't be recycled then share a bin with your neighbour or family member. My parents let me use their bin as I have so little it's hardly noticeable (Thanks mum and dad).
  • If your at the early stage and thinking of whether to make the change or not, then also think of composting- I'll talk about this another time.
I'm not saying that bin collectors should be avoided, many do a great job and the company we used were really good. It was just the right thing for us to do and I know exactly where my rubbish goes. 

If anyone has any suggestions or has tried something else let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Remember I'm still learning myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment