Monday, December 27, 2010

"Beautiful to look at, Lovely to behold, But when the winter comes, consider it COLD!"

Winter wonderland

Its been a really cold Christmas for us Irish who are neither ready, equipped, or able to cope with 6 inches of snow and have much to learn from our North American and Canadian friends who would only laugh at us locking ourselves indoors for days on end avoiding work, school or everyday life, because of our fear of the white stuff. Well I tried to take a leaf out of their book this Christmas and got out the shovel (more like a spade actually) and brushed and cleared the driveway so that at least we could attempt to get out. I was chuffed with my human snowplough abilities. Outside sorted! Inside however was not so good...

Picture of natural beauty





Send the heat back into the room
...We live in what would be called a new house. No more than 5 years old and so everything should be hunky dory and warm right? Wrong! Our house is freezing and no more so than the ground floor. We have heating and a coal fire so what is the problem? I dont know, but it's awful. I would love to get environmentally aware people in and insulate the house more and get better double glazed windows or what ever it may need but in all honesty that just cant happen right now. So shall I moan about the economy and the price of things? I cant be bothered. Turning on the heating to constant isn't the answer really so I've put my thinking cap on and decided to have a 2nd, very casual and low budget sitting room....upstairs... in one of the bedrooms. Yes I know its a bit odd but this way we can be warm, as all the heat goes upstairs, and not have to have the heating on any more than normal which I hope will be a bit Eco friendly and by moving the furniture around and putting the bunk beds back one on top of the other there is room. It's not for show, just us, and there is always the proper living room for when the Queen comes, as no doubt she will. So whats the point? Well by using a bit of common sense (I think thats what it is), I can get what I need, keep the bills the same by not having more heat on and not sit shivering in front of the TV for the night. Granted I have had a massive clear out from under the beds, nooks and cranny's but ultimately this will give me more space and that fung shui feeling.... isn't that what its called?
Guard dog drafted in !!!

So if any of my fellow Irish men and women are in a similar predicament perhaps you can have a close look to see what you already have in the home. Maybe a few draft excluder's or lined curtains will make a difference. Although I am in favor of loft insulation etc, there are other ways (not perhaps as rash as mine) if you put your mind to them. And any tips to help keep my house warm on a budget, would be very welcome thanks.
So keep warm and shovels at the ready guys, I think there's more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment