Saturday, May 28, 2011

"I love it when a plan comes together"



I'm always encouraging people to recycle and be self sufficient whenever possible....as if you hadn't noticed already! I do however put my money where my mouth is .....theoretically speaking as cash is not exactly growing on my cherry tree. So the sun came out today, for a change, and I thought it was time I started on the back garden. I have the berry bushes, herbs and other plants ready to go but they need me to dig a trench and get going. So I thought it was about time I popped over to the parents and asked for my share of compost that we have been working on over the past 2-3 years together. I wasn't sure if it would be a success or not. Would it be too wet or even have broken down at all? I dont know why I was so pessimistic as I had followed the instructions, so to speak, all along. I knew that the top half of the compost wouldn't have broken down as we continually top it up and I didn't expect too much out of it either but I was really happy with our family efforts as I was able to shovel out a very nice amount of perfect compost. There were plenty of worms in there and squirmish or not, I knew that this was a really good sign as it's these little chaps that do all of the work 

There was no bad smell which was fabulous and I didn't find anything in there that I wouldn't like. Not all of the egg shells had broken down but I knew that would be the case and it makes no difference when using the compost. Pat on the back? Well yes thank you, I will. The amount of waste that we put into it over the past couple of years was considerable and it composted down to nothing. That was a real saving on the rubbish bins and such a feeling of elevation (yes elevation indeed) that we had allowed nature to do what had originally been intended and we could use this compost without having to pay out for it. Also because I know exactly what went into the compost bin I am happy that there are no chemicals involved or any other nasties. It was no trouble to compost as all we did was collect the waste from peelings and so on and throw it in the compost bin instead of the normal bin and give it a mix every so often. I wont have enough compost for the job that I want to do so I will mix it into some that I bought and now I cant wait to get stuck in.
Let me know if you have tried composting and how it went for you. Would you try it now?

No comments:

Post a Comment