Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh dear what can the matter be...

...well it would appear that my lettuce have taken a turn for the worse as you can see below.

"Lettuce have a look"
These have been growing since mid April and to be honest you wouldn't think so. They have been fed, loved and .... over watered, OOPS! I only realised this when I decided to put them in bigger pots to try and give them a boost only to find that they were drenched and then I understood what was wrong. Disappointed? Yes. Giving up? No. Well I dont know if they'll pull through but I'll do my best to turn it around. I mean I never professed to be a pro at this but I have certainly learned from it. I feel like someone from the Neolithic (but in modern surroundings!) they didn't have libraries and gardening books to teach them-neither could they read but that is beside the point. They learnt how it all worked by trial and error and so will I. Mind you I have had much more luck else where if you want to see....

I got myself a grow bag for some carrots, cabbage and onions and these seem to be doing superbly. The cabbages have really grown large and strong although they have been attacked by slithering slugs during the night on occasion so I have now put down some beer so they can really have a party tonight if they want to. OK so that is interfering with nature but I really want to have successful veg. I have tried really hard and making a pigs ear of one or two things is to be expected but I would like to do well with other veg and plants.
Carrot lefts, cabbage middle and onions on the right.
My tomatoes and strawberries are a little behind and straggly but we've had little or no sun so far this year and plenty of  wind so I can only hope. I did plant in a couple of other plants last year and they looked a little sad throughout the winter (no wonder with the winter we had) and not all of them survived but the wild daisies (I have no idea what they are actually called) really came up a treat this year and are lovely to look at from the kitchen window.

Bloomin' lovely


So its not all bad. I have planted some more lettuce and carrot seed this evening in the hope that I may do a better job second time around although where I am going to put them I just dont know but its always good to stagger them anyway. Well you cant eat everything in one go no can you?. 

No comments:

Post a Comment