Sunday, June 5, 2011

Do we have the power?


I was at my mother in laws this weekend and we had the usual catch up on what has been going on since we last met. She knows that I have my blog and radio show and asks how I am doing. Somewhere along the way we got onto electricity and the cost of. She has one of the old house meters and has been noticing lately what electrical goods in her house are using the most electricity in seemingly large amounts each time she uses them. Here are the main 3 items that stood out.....


  • The Kettle.
    We all use the kettle a lot in this country but when we switched it on we really saw the cogs turning in the meter very quickly. I suppose if you think about it, there must be a vast amount of electrical power required to boil water in such a short amount of time. Tip: In order to save pennies here, only boil water when you are going to use it. I have often boiled the kettle thinking I would have tea and then gone off and done something else only to come back in an hour and do exactly the same thing. What a waste! Only boil what you need and use it. Extra water requires extra power.
  • The Microwave
     A great invention I know but use it wisely because it costs you! Tip: If heating up a cup of coco for the evening then see if someone else wants one and put two or three in and make them all together. Don't let dinners go cold so that you have to heat them up and use electricity unnecessarily. If someone goes to the bother of cooking for you then tuck in and enjoy asap. Use the microwave minimally. 
  • The Iron.
    Not the favourite chore in any household I bet. Tip: pick a day once a week, and just do it. Plugging in and out every five minutes and having to heat it up regularly uses up electricity. Also if you are not fond of this job then hand washing out carefully or if drying it on the heater then flatten it into position so that it is dried into place. No ironing required and it only takes a few more minutes. 2 birds, 1 stone ring a bell? Don't iron towels and flannels. Look at your ironing basket and see what can be left out.
I am also guessing that anyone with a tumble dryer is also going to pay more than necessary. Hang your clothes out to dry. Only use the dryer in emergencies.

Convenience is ...well...convenient,  but do your pocket a favour and you will do the environment one at the same time! The power really is in our hands.

2 comments:

  1. now that the alleged summer is here i have not only turned my heating down but ive turned it off completely which must save a few pennies. I also, during the winter, walk after my hubby and turn it down a couple of notches when he turns it up! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. He might not like to know that but I bet he's happier when the less expensive bill comes in. I like your style, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete